What is Haleem?
Beef haleem is a thick, hot stew made of meat and grains. It has a slightly sticky feel and strands of ground meat. It came from Harrisa and was used by Arab tribes as a portable food. The Middle Eastern variation lacks lentils and has milder spice flavours.
It arrived in India during Babur’s reign from a Mughal kitchen. Traditional Beef Haleem, a hotter variation that is more frequently served in Pakistan and India, also contains some lentils and barley; technically, it is Khichda.
Beef haleem is presented in a delectable manner with crispy fried onion, Julian ginger, green chilies, lemon wedges, and chaat masala.
Beef Haleem Recipe
- Gandum (Wheat) 1 Cup (soaked overnight)
- Jau (Barley) 1 Cup (soaked overnight)
- Chana daal (Split bengal gram) ¾ Cup (soaked overnight)
- Mash daal (White lentil) ½ Cup (soaked overnight)
- Masoor daal (Red lentil) ½ Cup (soaked overnight)
- Moong daal (Yellow lentil) ½ Cup (soaked overnight)
- Chawal (Rice) Tota ¼ Cup (soaked overnight)
- Water 3 litres or as required
- Boiling water as required
- Boneless beef large pieces ½ kg
- Cooking oil 1 Cup
- Darchini (Cinnamon sticks) 2-3
- Sabut kali mirch (Black peppercorns) 10-11
- Tez patta (Bay leaves) 2-3
- Pyaz (Onion) sliced 2 medium
- Adrak lehsan paste (Ginger garlic paste) 1 & ½ tbs
- Hari mirch (Green chili) paste 1 & ½ tbs
- Lal mirch powder (Red chilli powder) 1 & ½ tbs or to taste
- Dhania powder (Coriander powder) ½ tbs
- Haldi powder (Turmeric powder) ½ tbs
- Namak (Salt) 1 tbs or to taste
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Elaichi powder (Cardamom powder) ½ tsp
- Dahi (Yogurt) whisked 1 Cup
- Water 4 Cups or as required
- Namak (Salt) ½ tbs or to taste
- Cooking oil 4-5 tbs
- Pyaz (Onion) sliced 1 small
- Garam masala powder ¼ tsp
- Pyaz (Onion) fried
- Adrak (Ginger) julienne
- Hara dhania (Fresh coriander) chopped
- Chaat masala
- Lemon wedges
Beef haleem Method:
Take a pot, add wheat, barley, split bengal gram, white lentil, red lentil, yellow lentil, rice & water, mix well, bring it to boil & remove scum, cover & cook on low flame until tender (approx 2-3 hours) and then turn off the flame mash them with masher.
Take one more pot add water and boil it now add beef and bring it to boil for 4 to 5 minutes and strain it, take a side.
Take a pot and put it on stove. Add oil, cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns, bay leaves mix well and now add onions. Fry it until light golden now add boiled beef, ginger garlic paste and green chili paste mix them well cook it for 1 minutes. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and cardamom powder and mix it very well now add yogurt mix well and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes then add 4 of cups water bring it boil and cover the lid and cook on low flame until tender approx. 40- 50 minutes.
After this open the lid and remove and discard bay leaves and cinnamon sticks then turn off the flame mash the beef with masher.
Now its time to assemble everything. Take (step 1 pot) add beef cooked gravy and mix them well and mash again for 10 to 12 minutes on low flame and add salt mix it and turn off the flame.
Take 4-5 tbsp. oil in a pan add onions and fry until golden add garam masala mix it then add it in your cooked mixture mix well and dish out.
Beef Haleem is ready for garnishing add chopped green coriander, fried onions, julienne cut ginger and chat masala and lemon.